European Airports Football Championship 2016
The Group Stage Draw
Dublin Airport has drawn tournament hosts Vienna and Moscow’s Domodedovo in the initial qualifying group stages of the European Airports Football Championship 2016. The draw which took place earlier today, Tuesday 31st May, placed Dublin into group D alongside these 2 other sides.
Here you will find information about the tournament and its organisation, the participating airport teams, and useful links to the city of Vienna (sightseeing, public transport, etc).
You will also find player & travel documents for download at the bottom of the page.
A little about the tournament…
The objective of the championship is to provide an opportunity for staff from participating airports to meet together in a friendly rivalry and thus promote greater friendship and understanding among European airports.
From 1982 onwards the Aer Rianta Football Club at Dublin Airport sought the views of other European airports for the staging of a football tournament and was the driver of the European Airport Football Tournaments! The Dublin club felt that while there were regular international sporting contacts among the airline and air traffic control staffs of Europe, airport authorities did not by and large enjoy the same level of contact.
As a result of the positive reaction to the survey it was decided to stage a bigger international event at Dublin Airport in October 1984. Eight other airport teams travelled to Dublin for what was a great sporting and social weekend. With the success of the Dublin tournament it was agreed that the competition should be held every two years and in 1986 Amsterdam staged the event with an increased entry of twelve teams.
In April 1987 the European Airports Football Association (EAFA) was formed with the objective of promoting and developing the competition. The Association elects a Council (EAFC) to assist in the management of the Association, to oversee the organisation of each tournament and to assist and advise hosting airports. The Council will provide administrative and secretarial services between tournaments. In the meantime Airports like Rome, Manchester, Shannon, Vienna, Copenhagen, Malta, Dublin, Salzburg, Antalya, Munich, London and Krakow hosted the Tournament and the number of participating teams is still growing.
The last tournament took place in Krakow in June 2014, having 14 participating teams from all over Europe. Teams from i.e. Ireland, England, France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Russia, Poland, Malta and Poland, participated.
Teams participating so far…
About the games…
- The rules of association football as published by FIFA will apply, except thoserules applying to playing time and discipline.
- All first round and quarter final (if applicable) games will be of 2 x 20 minutes duration, with a 5 minute interval or as may be decided by host airport, following consultation with the EAFC.
- Semi-finals and final will be of 2 x 30 minutes duration, with a 5 minute interval.
- If at the end of normal playing time in quarter final, semi final or final, thescores for both teams are level, extra time of 2 x 20 minutes duration will be played.
- If at the end of extra time the teams are still level, the result will be decided by a penalty competition as per FIFA rules (i.e. 5 penalty attempts to each team followed by “sudden death” kicks).
- It teams are level on points at the end of the first round, goal difference will decide which team or teams qualify for the next stage of the tournament. If teams tie on goal difference, the qualifying team will be that team which has scored most “goals for”. If teams are still tied a toss of a coin will decide the issue.
- 3 points will be awarded to the winning team for a win, 1 point will be awarded to both teams for a draw.
Welcome to Vienna!
Vienna is famous for its empirical architecture, classical music and delicious food. We can recommend the following sightseeing tours, which will cover the important must sees in beautiful Vienna.
Red Bus City Tours: www.redbuscitytours.at
Vienna Sightseeing Tours: www.viennasightseeing.at
Vienna City Tours: www.viennacitytours.com
Here is a selection of sights you have to see:
St. Stephens Cathedral (Stephansdom)
Giant Ferris Wheel (Riesenrad)
Schönbrunn Castle (Schloss Schönbrunn)
Musikverein (Home of the New Year Concert)
State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)
Ringstrasse (a curcuit road with a lot of notable imperial buildings)
Vienna Zoo (oldest zoo in the world)
Our EAFC 2016 Viennese hotel base. Excellent facilities for all.
Cheltenham Festival 2016 – Race Night
In preparation for the biennial European Airports Football Championships in Vienna this summer, the club will host a fund raising pre-Cheltenham Race Night in the Viscount Lounge, Whitehall on Saturday 12th March. Racing gets underway at 8pm.
This race night is traditionally a great evening for all involved in the club and an opportunity to win a few bob too! Make sure you put the date in your calendar now and bring a few friends on the night.
Race cards can be picked up from the following club members from this week:
Under 19s – Ciaran Radican & Damien Taaffe
Senior – Christy Sheridan & Tony Hart
Over 35s – Niall Maples & Alan Roche